It's Teaching Blog Addicts 1st year birthday celebration and I'm hosting the birthday celebration Linky Party! I hope you all link up here with all of your fabulous classroom or home birthday ideas, celebrations, and fun! Anything goes if it is party and/or birthday related.
Have you ever asked a kindergarten child why it's their birthday? Most of them truly have no idea what it means when it is their birthday. You get some of the funniest answers! I even videotaped their answers (unplanned) because it was so funny one time. The truth is, even though many have no idea WHY it is their birthday, they know it is their VERY OWN special day and I think it is important that, as their teacher, we recognize it and allow them to feel EXTRA special on their day.
I don't do much, but I do think it is important to recognize them and make it special (without taking too much academic time away OR spending too much of my own money) since it is the day they were born and all. I get their birthday bags ready during the summer:
- I buy crayons when they go on sale for a quarter because who doesn't love a brand new box of crayons with 24 different colors?
- I sharpen a fancy pencil, since an unsharpened pencil does no good for the children who have no sharpeners at home!
- I buy a pack of colorful Happy Birthday reward stickers (Target's Dollar Spot has had packs of 24 for the past few years--for a dollar, of course!).
- I make birthday postcards during a FREE offer at Vistaprint (you just pay shipping). You get 100 for the cost of shipping (cheap, cheap, cheap!) and so they last me 4 years worth of birthdays:
- I put all of it in Dollar Store Loot bags.
|Click here to get the free printable|
|Click here to get this free poster|
|Click here to get this printable chart FREE|